Sunday, March 2, 2014

Week 4

One day this week I made various types of cookies. One type was very unique.  I made a sort of chocolate chip cookie with a twist. I started out by making simple dough that one normally uses for a typical chocolate chip cookie. Then, instead of adding chocolate chips and walnuts, I added chili powder and white chocolate chunks.  At first I thought this was a very strange combination, well I still think it is a bit unusual, but the spice of the chili powder actually brings out the sweetness in the white chocolate.

I asked about the origin of the white chocolate chip cookies with chili powder and the response I received was “why not?” Many of the recipes I have made so far have been traditional recipes taken from various cookbooks that have been amended slightly. If the resulting food tastes good, then why not make it again?

2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of modifying traditional recipes with an unusual twist, but there seems to be a missing step: how do you choose what unusual twist to take on an existing recipe? There are obviously many different flavors, spices, and ingredients that could be added. Why chili powder and not, for instance, cumin? (which I admit, sounds weird, but you get the idea). Without relying on trial and error, how do you find those magical combinations of flavors?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I think of this, I think about art (of course) because it makes sense to have a juxtaposition of spicy and sweet that ultimately compliment each other. I'm still a little lost about what your final product is going to be. Maybe you could make us some cookies? :)

    ReplyDelete